Sunday, October 21, 2007

Beating the Big Chill Coming to NYC


I am giving a little blog shout-out for those who are possibly just getting started on their knitting for the homeless donations. Here in New York City I have a small core group of women (and men too!) who are interested in making afghans --individuals making squares and then sewing the squares together, hats, gloves and other items. I have also suggested (by way of discovery) that individuals donate old sweaters or old knitted garments that I can felt and turn into afghans, hats, sweaters (embellish old sweaters...which is something I have done recently with a great deal of success!). I turned a men's plain Banana Republic sweater (cost at a recycle shop: $12) into a beautiful women's sweater with simple red yarn which I embroidered onto the sweater. Imagine what we can do!

I know that when I worked as a drama therapist many of my clients had been homeless at one or many points of their lives. Many of their dramatic works would focus on this fear of either becoming homeless again or their experiences with homelessness. I enclose the following photos as inspiration for our mission in Knitting for the Homeless. May we see fewer faces of anguish and despair. May our season of giving, sharing and knitting be long and fruitful.

2 comments:

PJ said...

Nice post...reminds me once of a museaum somewhere in FL I had seen years ago of a group that gave camaras to homeless people and through taking pictures they could be allowed to sell their photography. How empowering that was...
Your projects sound great!

Vik said...

Hi dear Britta, thank you for your post.